The Diablo game series debuted in 1996, and has become a beloved classic among gamers. Set in the fantasy world of Sanctuary, a haven for war-weary angels and demons, this role-playing action game is known for exciting, fast-paced gameplay set in an intriguing fictional world. The series consists of three core games: Diablo I, Diablo 2, and Diablo 3. Over time, the series has evolved to encompass better graphics, different character classes, and plot developments. The series has stood the test of time despite these changes, remaining one of the most popular video game series of all time.
The original Diablo was an exciting, innovative action game. Released in 1996, it featured graphics that were state of the art for the time. The plot of the game centers around a player character whose goal is to free the town of Tristram from the evil hell-forces that have descended upon it. There were three main character classes:
- Warriors, powerful close-range fighters with a lot of endurance and Strength as their strongest attribute.
- Rogues, who use ranged weapons to attack enemies from a distance and have high Dexterity.
- Sorcerers, who use Magic as a weapon instead of physical skills.
The game begins when the player character arrives in Tristram, where they must make their way through a labyrinth filled with monsters and demons to find and kill the Skeleton King. The innovative gameplay, good graphics, and intriguingly dark fantasy atmosphere has won countless fans over the years. Diablo I remains a classic to this day.
Diablo II was released in 2000. Although Diablo 1 remains a perennial classic, Diablo 2 is considered by many players to be a superior game. It made numerous changes that distinguish it from its predecessor. The gameplay is divided into four “acts,” in which the character completes both manditory and optional quests. The item system was made more complex, with four quality levels applied to weapons and armor: normal, magical, set, and unique. Another major change between Diablo 1 and Diablo 2 was the difference in character classes. Diablo 2 offers a completely different set of classes than the original Diablo:
- The Amazon, a female character class with attributes similar to the Rogue from Diablo I.
- The Necromancer, a magic user who can summon skeletons, golems, dead enemy monsters, and other entities to aid him in battle.
- The Barbarian, a melee fighter similar to the Warrior from Diablo I who can specialize in different types of weapons.
- The Sorceress, a female magic user capable of ice, fire, and lightning spells.
- The Paladin, a member of a sacred order of knights who uses both combat skills and magic skills. He can create defensive and offensive “auras” that affect all party members, and is proficient with a shield.
The highly anticipated Diablo 3 was released in 2012, a full 16 years after the original game. It had been twelve years since Diablo 2, and was quite well received. More similar in gameplay to Diablo 2 than to the original Diablo, it offered five main character classes, most of which were new:
- The Witch Doctor, a magic user with spell-casting and summoning powers. This character’s powers are based in a stat called “Mana,” which replenishes slowly.
- The Barbarian, similar to the same class in Diablo 2. He’s equipped with a wide range of physical skills, based in a stat called “Fury.”
- The Wizard, like Diablo 2’s Sorceress, uses ice, fire, and lightning spells. They’re based in “Arcane Power,” which regenerates more quickly than the Witch Doctor’s Mana.
- The Monk is a melee fighter who uses martial arts. His attacks are fueled by “Spirit.”
- The Daemon Hunter is powered by “Hatred,” an attack-oriented resource that replenishes quickly, and “Discipline,” which refills more slowly and is used for his defensive abilities.
The gameplay, character classes, items, and graphics have changed significantly between Diablo 1 and Diablo 3, introducing new elements into the game’s unique fantasy world. Although the second two games in the series differ substantially from the original, all three are widely regarded as classics.
Diablo game evolution video
Check out this cool video, which summarizes everything you need to know about the differences in Diablo games: